What’s a microbusiness?
You're a microbusiness if one or more of the following apply to your company. You:
- use less than 100,000 kWh of electricity a year
- use less than 293,000 kWh of gas a year
- have fewer than 10 employees (or their full-time equivalent) and your yearly turnover, or yearly balance sheet, is not more than two million Euros (c. £180m).
The consumption threshold applies to each fuel being supplied.
Ofgem sets out standards, rules and guidelines to protect your microbusiness. When you agree to a new energy plan, suppliers are required to:
- let you know the key terms of the plan before you agree to it
- send you the contract end date and the latest date you can give notice to terminate on your bill if you have a fixed term plan
- send you the contract and terms and conditions within 10 days, including renewal terms for fixed term plans.
Standards of performance
Ofgem has set out Guaranteed Standards of performance which Shell Energy must adhere to – view them here.
Ofgem provides a wide range of information for microbusinesses. Alternatively, we’re always happy to answer your questions so please get in touch.